On back: "On September 4, 1781, D. Felipe de Neve and the Padres came to this very spot, to found a Pueblo. They reared a Cross and read the proclamation of Carlos Third (III) King of Spain. They called it Pueblo de Ntra Sra La Reina de Los Angeles. It means the City of our lady Queen of the Angels. The Corner Adobe of the Mission was laid in 1814. FRV Merin."