Seven male life guards pull a small boat ashore on Venice beach.
Hawaiian surfer George Freeth moved to Southern California in 1907, and within a year, he founded the Venice Volunteer Lifesaving Corps. Early life guards were largely volunteers. Around 1925, the city of Los Angeles began employing professional lifeguards. After Venice was annexed to the City of Los Angeles in 1925, Venice and Ocean Park lifeguards were organized under the city lifeguards as well. The Los Angeles County Lifeguard service was officially inaugurated in 1929. During the 1930s, many of the smaller cities lining the beach had lifeguards provided by the city of Los Angeles. Life guard jobs boomed even during the depression, and many lifeguard stations were built in the 1930s under the WPA. In 1932 the Santa Monica Lifeguard service was founded.
Publisher's serial number: 435; Series number: 435; Written in lower right corner of photograph: "14517"